Friday, June 14, 2013

Seafood stir-fry and Pasta

Since this blog is just about me posting my favourite activities and interests, here's a recipe I just discovered and absolutely love.

I found this recipe off the internet while I was having a bored period. I don't quite remember the link now but when I do, I'd be sure to update. Why I particularly got interested with this recipe is because 1. I love pasta. That's my go-to staple. As tiny as my kitchen is, if you see nothing else  in there, you can be sure to meet some pasta. My father is a pasta fanatic. He passed it on to me. 2. I love seafood too! But not as much of a staple as pasta is to me. I got the Breco Seafood Mix from Shoprite which has squid, calamari rings, shrimp, octopus, etc and it's quite cheap. Just under 800naira.

So, 2 loves and I was ready to try this recipe.

Here's what you need:

Pasta (I used Tagliatelle cos that was what I had on hand)
5 Carrots - skinned and chopped
2 Green pepper - chopped
4 Scotch Bonnet - chopped (You can use the number you desire. I love my food very spicy)
1 Onion - chopped
3 Tomatoes - chopped
Tomato Paste (Original recipe said to use Pasta sauce but I had none at home)
Black Pepper (I used whole. You can use powdered if you wish)
Seasoning (I used Maggi crayfish. Original recipe said Maggi chicken but hey! This is seafood!)
Crushed chilli (very optional)
Powdered Ginger
Powdered Garlic
Salt
Olive oil - 1 tbs
Seafood Mix (I used Breco seafood mix. )

Directions:

I had let the Seafood Mix melt down from the day before by bringing it out of the freezer and putting in the refrigerator. I rinsed it severally and then put in a colander to lose any leftover fluids.
Pour oil in frying pan wok (I don't own a wok. Yet). Let it heat up for a bit then you add some of the onions. Let the onions fry on low heat until it's about transparent. At this point, first add carrots and stir continuously. After about 1 minutes, add in tomatoes, green pepper and scotch bonnet. Continue to stir for about 5 minutes on low heat. Add the remaining onions.
Err... Couldn't quite get to rotate this

Take about a tablespoon of the tomato paste and mix in 1 tablespoon of water to reduce its thick consistency. Stir this to the wok and let cook for another 5 minutes.

At this point, put on a pot of boiling water for the pasta. Add a teaspoon of salt and a dash of olive oil. When boiled, put in the pasta and let cook till soft.

Back to the sauce. Add all dried ingredients (salt inclusive) at this point and stir into the mix. Let cook for 2 minutes then add the Seafood mix.
 
Ensure you are on low heat when this comes in. Seafood does not exactly like to be cooked on high heat lest it tastes and feels like glue.
I really cannot understand why these pictures are not in the right angle

Cover the point and let simmer for about 5 minutes or as long as you feel it's cooked enough for you to eat. Turn off the burner and let sit.


Drain the pasta into a colander to remove fluid. Serve the sauce on the pasta and it's ready to be devoured.

Bon appetit!  




PS: I have a confession to make. That last shot? Well, after I cooked the meal, it looked so good that I gobbled it in no time and forgot to take a picture. I took a second serving and still did not remember. By the time I remembered, it was all gone. Next day, I cooked the same recipe but with one slight difference. I was out of the Seafood mix. I had used up all I had. But I had a small packet of Calamari rings sitting in my freezer! Well, all na seafood. No scam there. I used the Calamari rings instead and made sure I took a picture right before I gobbled this one too all up! You'd fall prey too, I assure you.

Hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe,this was new to me and I'm sure that this is very delicious. By the way, do you also have a recipe for stir fry sauce? I want to cook that also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Eddie. Yes, I do have a recipe for stir-fry sauce and now that you mentioned it, I plan to cook one soon and write a post on it.

      Delete

I'd really love to get some feedback from you. Hit me up in the comment box! :)